The primary goal of my Menu Page is to terminate the line of questioning I get from my family regarding food: “so….what do you eat everyday?”
The second goal is to give my readers an assortment of quick and easy vegetarian weeknight menus, pedestrian meals, upon which Padma Lakshmi would frown. (how’s my outstanding grammar, eh??)
I heart pedestrian meals. That’s what I’m actually going to make after a day of work. I don’t have time to dilly dally in front of an oven. We are all trying to wedge more stuff into our day: Chores, Playdates, Exercising, Reading, Redecorating/remodeling, Botox Appointments, Procreating, etc. While Facebook moves to the forefront of your priorities, something has to take a backseat, but not a good satisfying meal.
Don’t Stress About Dinner!
- Keep pantry staples on hand.
- Use store-bought help when appropriate and if your budget permits.
- Menu plan: Take 15 mins every Saturday morning to plan at least 3 dinners for the week.
- Use the leftover ingredients to be creative and spontaneous for the rest of the week.
- Get inspiration from blogs, magazines, and favorite places to eat.
- Involve your kids in deciding the menu.
- Use help from the tools and appliances that you own (crockpot, blender, toaster oven, etc).
- Have Food Bars to make things easier and fun! You lay out the groundworks and everyone chooses their add-ons. (Mini Pizza bar, Tostada bar, Noodle bowl bar, Fajita bar, Tortilla Soup bar, Chili bar…)
Here are some menus and I will post links as they come available. I haven’t even started on Italian food….watch out!!
WARNING: Objects listed below may be tastier than they appear.
Streetside Mediterranean Dinner
Vegetable and Chickpea Tagine
Storebought 5-minute Pinenut Couscous
Tzaziki (Plain Greek Yogurt with Mint, Dill, Garlic, Salt,etc )
T.G.I.F Mediterranean dinner
Quinoa Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers
Roasted Eggplant Dip with Garlic Toasts
Spanish Barrio Dinner
Mark Bittman’s Tomato-Egg Paella
Grilled Watermelon with Feta and Balsamic Vinaigrette
Vietnamese Dormatory Dinner
Store-bought spring rolls with peanut sauce
Vegetarian Vietnamese Pho
Asian Culture Police Dinner
Romaine Salad with Peanut Dressing
Hot and Sweet Tofu with Red Pepper, Onion, and Basil (use tofu and omit fish sauce)
Mango Sticky Rice
Chhole (Spiced Indian Chickpeas)
Jeera Rice (add Cumin seeds in the rice cooker)
Cucumber Mint Raita
Indian Home Cookin’ Dinner
Kala Chana (Black Chickpea Curry)
Whole Wheat Roti
Kadhi (Yogurt Soup)
Patio Sunset Dinner
Cauliflower and Broccoli Gratin from Nicola Graimes Cookbook
Herb & Sun-Dried Tomato Quiche
Homemade Pizza Bar
Browned Butter Pizzookie
Tex Mex Grill Dinner
Blue Corn Tortilla Chips with
Strawberry Gazpacho Salsa
Portobello & Veggie Fajitas
Vegetarian Tortilla Soup Bar
Pineapple Slices with Ground Cinnamon and Allspice
Grown-up Guac (Tableside) and Chips
3-Pepper Quasi-dilla (half tofu, half cheese)
Loveme Feedme Dinner
Chick’n Noodle Soup
TLC (Tender Loving Care)
OTC (Over-the-Counter) Medicine