Yes I will blog about something as rudimentary as a PB and J sandwich, Ants on a Log, or in today’s case, Chex Mix.
If you stopped reading already, I didn’t want you here anyway.
You can judge me. But I won’t let you judge Chex Mix. Chex Mix has done nothing but been nice to you since 1983.
This isn’t the Chex Mix you might know. This is Chex Mix with a makeover: Chevro (pronounced CHEV-row).
Chevro is seasoned to be sweet, salty, and spicy, but there’s one ingredient that you won’t find in any ordinary Chex Mix: Crisp, fried, curry leaves. The magic of curry leaves permeate the mixture with an incognito flavor. Even if “curry” is not your thing, you won’t be able to resist its spell once it’s paired with the sweetness of Chevro. It is absolutely addictive, don’t even question me…I see your Cocaine and I raise you a Chevro.
Chevro deserves a salute to all immigrant Indian moms. Our moms came to this country with nothing, but if there was a moment or a dollar to spare, it was shared with good friends over some Chevro. Chevro helped our families survive on a dime and it was the answer to everything a child would/could ask.
- No we we are not going to McDonald’s. Here is some Chevro.
- I’m so sorry you got a booboo. Here is some Chevro.
- You were so brave taking those vaccination shots. Do you want some Chevro?
- No, we are not buying your teacher a present. Give her some Chevro.
- We are late for your Girl Scouts meeting. Don’t worry, just take some Chevro.
- No we aren’t there yet. Here is some Chevro.
- No we are not buying $8 popcorn. Here is some Chevro.
- No you cannot buy Nike Air Pumps. But you can have some Chevro. For FREE!
While the photo here looks very presentable, Chevro is most commonly recognized in the uniform of a Ziploc bag. No matter how old you are, there are many loving homes for a serving of Chevro. After all, we originated from one nation, under chevro…
- Laptop Messenger
- Yoga Bag
- Diaper bag
Indian Express. Don’t leave home without it.
Recipe written by the very loving Mother-in-Law of rabbitfoodrocks
This versatile snack mix is made from an American signature food, cereal, to emulate a favorite snack from India, our mother country. My mother in law makes the most incredible, PERFECT chevro and we just can’t seem to get enough. She makes it in these GIANT steel mixing bowls, that only Indian moms have…stored in the garage because even the largest kitchen cabinet can’t house them. We are soooo lucky that she makes it on demand.
1-1/4 cup corn oil
2 cups peanuts
1 cup cashews
1/2 cup curry leaves
1/2 tsp iodized salt
cayenne to taste
1-1/2 teaspoons black salt (available at Indian Grocery store – it looks pink)
1 pound Multigrain Cheerios cereal (lightly sweetened)
6 cups Rice Chex Mix cereal
6 cups Corn Chex Mix cereal
6 cups Wheat Chex Mix cereal
6 cups Special K Corn Flakes cereal
1. In the most giant-est pot you have, heat corn oil over medium-high heat. Fry peanuts for 5-7 minutes, or until the peanuts turn into a slightly darker brown color. With a slotted spoon, remove peanuts into a large mixing bowl and immediately toss with black salt, iodized salt, and cayenne.
2. Fry cashews in the hot corn oil. Remove cashews with a slotted spoon and empty into the mixing bowl. Fry curry leaves (carefully – the oil will want to splatter) for about 2 minutes and remove after leaves turn dark and start to release an aroma. Add to the bowl of peanuts and mix well.
3. Transfer the remaining frying oil into a small bowl, but reserve 2 Tablespoons and heat it again in the large pot over low heat.
4. Fry Cheerios on low heat (in 2 to 3 large batches, so that you can stir comfortable and continuously) for about 3-5 minutes.
5. Fry the other cereals in batches, adding some of the reserved oil if needed before each batch.